Rev. O.B. Winkley is the son of the late Rev. Otis Winkley, Sr. and Myra Winkley Thomas. He is married to the former Janet (Lee) Miles of Waco, Texas, and together they have three adult children and three grandchildren.
Rev. Winkley attended the Kilgore Public Schools and Bishop College in Dallas, Texas. He received his Bachelor and Master of Theology degrees from the American International Bible Seminary in Killeen, Texas.
The Atlanta, Texas native accepted his call to the ministry in 1976 at the age of 21. Six months later, he accepted the pastorship at New Home Baptist Church in Overton, Texas. Over the past 29 years, he has pastored four other churches. To this congregation’s delight, Rev. Winkley accepted the call as Pastor of Antioch Missionary Baptist Church in August, 2005. We are inspired by his in-depth preaching and teaching of the Word and his humorous parables.
Pastor Winkley is considered a noted gospel preacher, teacher and pastor, whose reputation as a leader in his church and personal life is second to none. Pastor Winkley has held many board and advisory committee positions. He has also worked diligently with the NAACP and the Boy Scouts of America.
Pastor Otis Winkley’s primary goals in life are to win souls for Jesus Christ and to teach the Body of Christ through discipleship training. He aspires to the best husband, father and pastor God would have him be. Pastor Winkley believes that in doing these few things well, not only will he be blessed, but he will also be in keeping with God’s will.
Our mission at the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church is to be faithful to God in our living, giving and witnessing. Our primary aim is to recover the lost, reach for the fallen and rejoice with the saints. We further strive to be Christ-like in our integrity, mutual respect and loyalty.
In January of 1866, seven months after slaves were freed in Texas (June 19, 1865), a small group of freed slaves organized the first African American Baptist Church in Houston, Texas. They were assisted by the First Baptist Church and missionaries.
After holding worship services at the First Baptist Church and the German Baptist Church, they began to hold services on Buffalo Bayou in a “Brush Arbor.” Later, they moved to “Baptist Hill” located at Rusk and Bagby until the present site was purchased. Services were conducted by ministers who traveled to different locations, at stated times.
In 1868, one of Antioch’s members, Jack Yates, was ordained at the first Association meeting for African American Baptist Churches. This was the first National Baptist Convention. Rev. Jack Yates became the first pastor of Antioch.
As the membership grew and additional space was needed, Rev. Yates led the church to purchase its present site and build a brick structure. The church, located in the center of Freedman’s Town, was the center of activity for the African-American community. It was the first brick structure built and owned by African-Americans in Houston.
Antioch provided the former slaves with opportunities to learn not only about God, but also provided ministries to help them develop educationally, economically and socially.
The first educational opportunity for freed African-Americans began at Antioch. With the help of two missionaries, Rev. Yates began the Baptist Academy. The Baptist Academy taught fundamentals such as: reading, writing, and arithmetic,; in addition to trades, thus enabling men and women to start their own businesses. The Baptist Academy later became Houston College. Houston College was the forerunner of Texas Southern University.
Economic development and recreational activities were also encouraged and supported at Antioch. The Old Landmark Baptist Association of Texas was organized at Antioch. Under Rev. Yates’ leadership, members were encouraged and assisted in buying property, owning homes and businesses.
The Emancipation Park, in conjunction with Trinity Methodist Church, was purchased for recreational activities and community celebrations, such as the 19th of June.
With the vision and support of Rev. Yates and Antioch, the first African-American College in the state of Texas began . This was Bishop College.
Just as they did then, Antioch’s congregation and leaders continue to provide needed and vital services to the Houston community.
RED BRICK CHURCH
he Red Brick Church was designed by African-American Richard Allen, who was also a member of the Texas Legislature. The Red Brick Church was erected in 1875 and was the first brick structure owned by African-Americans in Houston, Texas. The second story was added in 1890.
The structure’s Gothic features ,with pointed arch windows and doors, have been nationally acclaimed. Today members still worship in the sanctuary’s original handmade pews.
The Antioch of today is nestled between giant skyscrapers, surrounded by steel and concrete. Under the leadership of Pastor O. B. Winkley, Jr., she continues to serve the needs her people and her community, proudly proclaiming the message:Jesus Saves.
Antioch continues her commitment to the community through assistance to the urban hungry and homeless, weekly luncheon Bible Study for workers in the Downtown Houston area, and aiding families year round through a vibrant outreach ministry.
lease join us Sundays at 9:00 am for Sunday School followed by Worship Services and Children’s Church at 10:15 am. You can also fellowship with us throughout the week: Bible Study & Prayer Meeting Wednesdays at 6:00 pm and 12:00 pm (Noon) on Thursdays.